Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hooray for Spring

It seems that spring is upon us and winter is behind us. I really enjoy spring because of all the things that were dead coming alive. I especially like to plant in the garden and watch my veggies grow. So far, I have corn, green beans, sugar snap peas, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, and onions all coming up. And I planted my tomatoes and peppers yesterday. We have also been eating asparagus which is awesome. Every year I like to try something new in the garden. This year I am planting eggplant. I have never really eaten a lot of eggplant but we had some on vacation and it was not too bad so I thought I would plant some and try it out some more. There is another thing I am going to try this year but I will save that for another post. I still have some more stuff to plant, hopefully I will have everything planted in the next week or so.

One thing I wanted to share with all of you is about where I buy my seed and plants (even some of my landscaping plants) and give them a plug because I really like them. I have been buying from them for about the past 5 years. It is a great local place in Farmington called Chicken Holler. They are one of the few places still around that sell bulk seed like old times with the seed in wooden bins and you get whatever you need. They have a huge selections of seed. They also have the biggest selection of veggie plants like herbs, tomatoes, peppers, etc. They have more kinds of tomatoes than I have seen anywhere else (especially heirloom varieties). They also have lots of landscaping plants and berry plants. Another great thing is they grow a lot of the plants in their own greenhouse. They also have very knowledgeable and friendly staff that can answer questions about the plants and growing them. Just the other day when I was there, I learned three new things about growing the veggies I was buying just from talking to them. And one of the greatest things is their prices are cheap, really cheap for some stuff. For instance, a three pack of tomato plants is just $1.09. Just one plant at other places will cost you three times that much. I bought 36 tomato plants, 16 pepper plants, 16 marigolds, 3 eggplants, and an onion set and spent less than $30. You can't beat that anywhere. I hope you guys that do gardening will check them out. They also have all kinds of gardening supplies and (for the winter time) they carry a huge selection of wood stoves and accessories.

2 comments:

Geothermal Heat Pumps said...

Geothermal Heat Pumps needs more space than the ordinary heat pumps ! It saves more money for you in future !

Rebecca said...

Please post pictures of the new kittens!!! =^..^=