Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Well

We have some big new on the Farm of Hale. We are growing again. It seems that we are pregnant. Seriously, not kidding. As some of you know we have some issues in the department of getting pregnant and were basically given an almost zero chance of getting pregnant. We tried for several years and were on some potent drugs for a while. Last year we stopped all the meds and decided to adopt. Which was awesome. What else can we say except that Esther is the best thing that has ever happened to us. Getting pregnant was not even a thought or consideration for us anymore. Well, we had us a good old fashioned miracle and got pregnant. It was quite a shock for us and very unexpected, but we will take it. Margo is 9 weeks and is due in mid December. We have had a couple ultrasounds and Margo is on some medication because she is at a higher risk for problems with her previously mentioned problems with her baby making parts.

Anyway, we are super excited and wanted to share the news. See ultrasound pic below.

I also want to go ahead and educate everyone really quick on something. I am not trying to be harsh here but more of just something that people should know. Fertility problems are hard. There are several things that people say that drive couples with fertility problems crazy and they can be hurtful. I know that people think they are being nice so we try to just smile and go on. Anyway, I wanted to share a couple things with you of what not to say to couples like us. First, when a couple is adopting because they can not have kids, don't say "I bet you will get pregnant after you adopt" "you will relax after you adopt and have a kid and get pregnant" and other statements that are similar. People who have dealt with infertility have dealt with a lot and had to go through realizing they will not get pregnant. It is hard, and these statements don't help, at all. There is a medical reason we are not able to get pregnant, adopting a baby does not change this. Second, if the couple does happen to get pregnant (like us), don't say "I knew that would happen", "it always happens to people who adopt". Again, these statements drive us crazy. We adopted because us having kids naturally is a very low chance, like 1% (it will vary from couple to couple). So not impossible but very unlikely. We found statistics that show that only 5% of people who adopt because they can not have kids get pregnant naturally down the road. So, that is my education of the day. If you have already said these things to us, we forgive you and there is no need to apologize. Just remember it the next time you are talking to someone like us. This was a total miracle for us and we give the credit to God, it wasn't "us relaxing" it was a God thing.


Here is our little blob

20 comments:

Sarah said...

As I've told you and Margo, I am just delighted for you. Now I guess I will tell the world at large too. I really don't "get it" how things work sometimes, but that a) is not the point (my "getting it") b) does not diminish what a miracle both Esther and your unborn child are. Thanks also for the education about what not to say to people experiencing fertility problems. As someone who has a tendency to stick her foot in her mouth, I appreciate the lesson.

Anonymous said...

Awesome news - so happy your little family is growing again! Both of you are wonderful parents and I'm sure little Esther will be stoked to have a playmate on down the road. God bless - we will be praying for continued blessings to your family.
Oh, and, yay!!!yay!!!yay, God!!!!
Love,
Debbie D

John Nelson said...

Wow! Congrats! Fantastic news for you both and we celebrate this miracle of God with you! *high five*

dave and jenn said...

Congratulations!! So happy for you both. Margo, I hope you're feeling well!

JP said...

Congratulations! Another new cousin. I'm excited for you all.

David & Sarah H. said...

Congratulations guys! Praise God along with you. Very happy for you.

Allison Nelson said...

I have tears in my eyes! I'm so excited for you two and I know if Esther could tell you, she would say she is excited to be a big sister too! :) Love you guys!

Libberlicious said...

Josh, congratulations! Praise God for His miracles and blessings. I completely understand what you are talking about when people say some of those things. Stress and relaxation have nothing to do with the medical reasons, nor does desire or positive thinking. I think God puts some of us in these positions to for us to adopt and so He can let us glorify Him through our trials and miracles. What a blessing both ways!
Libby East-Jones

nectarine_girl said...

This makes me SO happy!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I am soooo happy for all of you! God is super cool!

Love you all!

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! Such wonderful and exciting news!!! I am so, so very happy for you and Margo and Esther!!! She will be a wonderful big sister!

Chrissi said...

thanks for sharing this wonderful news! I am thrilled and so excited for Margo, you & Esther. Appreciate the tips on what not to say....sorry if I am a guilty party.

Dani J said...

Please keep calling it the Little Blob. You can have Esther and Little Blob.

Debra said...

I am so happy for you both....God is awesome!

Debra and family

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. God is good... all the time.
I shared with Bill. We love you all. Loretta Allen

jody said...

PRAISE THE LORD! He gives good gifts doesn't He? You've got two of them I see :) I am so excited for y'all and worshiping Him for faithfulness and compassion in y'alls lives! How beautiful. I'll be praying for continued health for Margo ... that is so awesome.

Also appreciated your "lesson" about what not to say. Good thoughts, I struggle a lot with knowing what to say to friends who are struggling with infertility. Any other advice on what not to say or what to say in this area would be appreciated.

Sarah E said...

Time to update the "humans" count again on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the wonderful news.

Jonna

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I didn't know you guys had adopted or were expecting until I read your mom's comment on Meg's blog!

And HEAR, HEAR on the infertility education. I have a whole mental "cringe" list of those comments and questions.

Carolynn said...

I just wanted to say congratulations-- I realize we have never met but I was friends with Zach in college and I somehow stumbled across your blog one day a few years ago--it's so very exciting. I have a sister that is dealing with infertility--thank you for the "what not to say". Congratulations!

Carolynn (Rogers) Dunlap