First, I tore down the little shed. It was in ok shape but had just been built on top of the ground so it was leaning and rotting on the bottom and the door had fallen off. Here is an old pic of it.
I used some parts of it to build the new one.
Next, I built the new shed. I used almost all recycled wood and recycled sheet metal. It was mostly from old chicken houses that had been torn down. I had never really built a shed exactly like this but it worked out pretty well. It is 16'x12'. I used stacked blocks to get it level and set the main beams on. My goal was to build it in a week just working on it after work and on the weekend. I got really close, I had everything except the doors and windows done in a week, those took me an extra day. Here are some pics.
This is during building. The tallest wall was about the max of what Margo and I could lift and set up. For those of you who know about building, you may notice my walls are a little strange. That is because I recycled the walls from the old shed. The front wall is the two side walls from the old shed stacked on each other.
This is after it has all been framed.
And here is the finished product.
And here it is with the window and door open. I especially like the door because it is a sliding door.
After we moved all our stuff into the new shed, it was time to get rid of the old big shed. It was a really big shed. But it had not been built correctly, the roof was not sloped enough so it was rotting. There were several holes in the roof from rotting and there were rotting areas in the floor. And the yard fence was going to go right at the front edge of the shed. I decided it was not worth salvaging and it would take too long to tear it down. So, the next best option I could think of is burning it down. Which I don't really think is legal but seemed like fun and a little dangerous.
Here is an old picture of before.
I decided that it would not make quite as big of a fire if I tore it down a little, so I hooked it up to the truck and started yanking.
I had to wait for ideal burning conditions which happened to be on Saturday (it was misting and raining most of the day). I did a little pre burning of leaves around the shed a couple days before to help prevent the fire from getting out. I started it early in the morning so that most people would probably not be out and about and see it and call the fire department on me. Because that could result in a fine.
Here it is at first, all catching on fire, which happened really fast
Here it as maximum burn. Margo took this picture from her view from the house. It was really big with lots of black smoke, Margo was a little nervous and I was worried about someone calling the fire department.
Here it is starting to collapse down
This is after it had collapsed and looking more in control.
And here is the final picture.
It is much better with it gone, it was kind of an eyesore and now we can see our pond completely out the back window which is nice.