Saturday, August 09, 2008

New Billy Goat

We bought a new billy goat last weekend at the Centerton Livestock Auction. I love going to the auction and wish we lived closer so I could go more often. If I did I think I could turn it into my own version of farm gambling. Buy goats when they're cheap and try to resell them to make more money. It would be fun. Back to the billy goat. Some of you may know that we bought a little billy goat back in May, a really cute spotted nubian. When I bought him I told the lady I was wanting to get something to breed with my nannies this fall and she said that the nubians are slow growing for the first year and he would probably not be big enough for this year. I didn't believe her but she was right. The little billy has not grown very much so far and we don't think he will be ready for breeding this fall so we decided to get a grown billy and we happened to stumble across one at the sale that we liked. As I have talked about in previous post, we are trying to stay away from boer goats (which are the popular goats these days). I am going to explain the reasons for this a little more in a new post coming soon. This new billy probably has boer in him as most meat goats around here do these days. Because he does not look like the traditional boer billy, he went for pretty cheap. He is about 2 years old we think, he is a pretty big, and looks good. And, not kidding, he is the horniest billy goat I have ever seen (I am not talking about horns on the head). I have never seen anything like it. He is always chasing after one of the females trying to do the deed. Even at the livestock auction, he was trying to hump everything that moved. A random fact for you non-farm people about billy goats. The reason they stink is that during mating season they pee on their face because they think it attracts the female. Nice. Here is a pic of him. I am trying to think of a good name for him that relates to his increased sexual desire.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. I think you should call him Jenkins. hahahaha!!
Debbie

Rebecca said...

You could name him Iago from Shakespeare's Othello...he was a cuckold and always referred to as having horns or horny...not in the same since, but it's a nice obscure reference of sorts. (PS. Forgot the videos, will get them Monday - busy adopting a homeless brother/sister in their 80s at work)

Anonymous said...

Free Willy

kate said...

Hey Joshy and Margo,
I am trying to think of some things we could do when you come. There is this big indoor water park at a hotel pretty close to us that is expensive to go to, but my friend got $13 passes, so I was wondering if you would want to do that or not. It is fine if not, I was just thinking. Also I have to get a babysitter for us to go, so I would need to go ahead and tell her sometime pretty soon. We also went to a cool place last night with some friends to eat that we can go when you come. Is there anything you guys are wanting to do?