Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Reality of Farm Life

Farm life isn't always good times. Sometimes unhappy things happen. This evening one of those things happened. A baby goat died. I am not sure why it died, it was very unexpected. Yesterday it was doing great and today when I got home from work, it was mostly dead. I tried to save it but I don't think it was anything I could have helped. I don't think it was sick. The only thing Margo and I can think of that might have happened is that it got butted really hard by one of the bigger goats or it got stepped on or kicked accidentally by the cow. The reason we think that might have been what happened is because it could not stand up or control it's body but it still looked healthy, it's eyes looked fine and it's ears were still perky and moving around. It would not nurse or swallow when I tried to force feed it. It seemed to me like it was a brain injury, spinal injury, or other major internal injury. I guess we will never know for sure. I don't always make a big deal out of a baby goat dieing since that kind of thing tends to happen but this was a special baby goat, and that is the extra bad news. This baby goat was everyone's favorite. It was the baby goat we referred to as Yoda, the brown one with the ears that stuck straight up. We are very sad, we really liked him. We had even talked about wanting to keep him even though he was a boy and we only keep girls. But, that's life on the farm.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

So sorry to hear...poor baby goat. At least you have a nice picture to remember him by.

Kritter Krit said...

Poor Yoda. He was a cutie!

I haven't told Sophs. She will be so sad. And she'll obsess on it: "Why'd the baby goat die, Mama? How come it had to die, Mama? What made it die? Did Josh and Margo take it to the cemetary?" ...Seriously. You think I'm kidding. She hasn't yet learned the art of acceptance. AND, after seeing a cemetary the other day and asking what it was, she thinks everything that dies needs a headstone I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get away with flushing the goldfish anymore. ;)