Sunday, May 31, 2009

Time again for my least favorite farm job

That's right, hauling hay. I have always severely disliked hauling hay. Although it is not as bad now as when I was a kid. Growing up we hauled lots of hay and I was not the strongest kid in the world so it was really hard for me. I really hated it growing up. These days on the Farm of Hale we only get around 150 bales each year which is not too bad, and I have pythons for arms now so it is not as hard. The worst thing is that it is so hot out on the hay field. Anyway, Saturday we went and hauled 100 bales. It was really good hay and we got a really good price on it so that was good. What really made hauling hay not so bad this time around was I had someone else to help me besides Margo. Usually, Margo drives the truck and I load the hay. This takes a long time because I have to load and stack it all and usually I can not stack it as high because I need someone up on top of the hay on the trailer stacking it as I throw it up. Well, this time one of my friends volunteered to help me. He had never hauled hay before so I was not sure how it would work out but he did awesome. It was such a big help and it went twice as fast. I was able to do two loads in the amount of time it would usually take me to do one. And I was not nearly as tired afterwards because I was not having to lift every single bale. So, a big shout out goes to my friend Adriel for helping me. Here are a couple pics from the hauling.

This is Adriel up on the top of the hay on the trailer.


Here we are after we loaded the second load

2 comments:

kate said...

Awesome! what a great friend! I remember going with my dad to get hay once. I think he got about 400 bales. It took forever. I tried to help with a few, but they are stinin' heavy! I know you are glad to get that over with!

Schnitzel_Republic said...

I saw a picture this morning of hay, and blogged on the same topic. I grew up on a farm and hated the yearly hay haul. I can't think of another job on the farm that was so negative. I look around today and all these guys have a round-baler deal...and the driver sits in a enclosed tractor compartment that has AC.