Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Three against one...unfair odds

We had our sexting (Margo doesn't think that's the correct use of that word) appointment today. And we are not into keeping stuff secret, it is too hard. Drumroll................we are having a girl. We are very excited. We are already having proposals for arranged marriages because so many of our friends have boys and very few girls.
We have also decided on a name for her, Clara Pete Hale. We like old names and Clara is the one we narrowed it down to. It was actually the 7th most popular name in the U.S. in 1885. Slightly shocking middle name we know, let it sink in. I realized today that being a joking/non-serious person that people don't believe you when you tell them something that does not seem right, like a unique middle name. But I am serious. Clara Pete. We wanted to use a family name of mine with this one since we used a family name of Margo's with Esther (middle name Louise - Margo's grandmothers). One of my most favorite/most influential people I have ever known during my life was my grandmother on my dad's side. She lived the next town over when I was really young and we would see her often and I would stay with her for a week during the summer. When I was 12 or 13 she moved to Mena where we lived. I spent lots of time at her house and I would always stay with her when mom and dad were gone. She was one of the most fun, loving, and Godly people I have ever known and I can only hope that I can be half the person she was. I have lots of great memories of her and I think of her often. One of the saddest days of my life was the day that she died. I won't forget her funeral, instead of somber talk about her, everyone told funny stories about her and the things she had done. That is the way she wanted it to be. Anyway, her name was Wilma, which is itself a cool old name. But her nickname was Pete from the time she was little. Just about everyone who knew her closely called her Pete, or Aunt Pete, or Granny Pete.
When I told Margo that I would really like to use that name for a middle name if it was a girl, she was totally on board which made me happy. We like the uniqueness of it and that it does have meaning for our family. I will enjoy telling Clara and Esther about their great granny. Here are some pics that we got today and scanned in.
Profile

We were able to do 3D pictures also. They told us the 3D and 4D are better when they are a little older, right now it is more skeleton looking. The pictures look better in person also. The 3D and 4D are pretty cool.
Face

Hand over face. You can see the little lips also.

Here is my granny at our wedding

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Aw! Congratulations you guys! I love her name. And the middle name is just too cool. How fun to have her named after such a special person. I'm sure Esther is psyched, yes?

kathy said...

I always knew her as "tall Granny", right? Love the names!

Rebecca said...

Congratulations!!!! Great name choice too - Clara and Esther will be the cutest sisters around! I thought we were going to be able to buy the rights to name her though?? :)

dave and jenn said...

Congratulations to you both! I love the story about her middle name.

Dani J said...

Yay for more girls!!g

Molly said...

Yay! So excited that you're having a girl!

Mollie said...

I love that you are naming your girls family names. That is what we did in our family too. Bradlei gets alot of teasing about her name but she knows how she got her name too. I can't believe you guys are having a baby. I seem to remember sitting in the basement eating lunch and you pretty much said that having a baby was gross..
Congratulations!!!!