Monday, April 02, 2012

Yes We Still Have a Farm

It seems like it has been forever since I wrote about our farm on the FARM of Hale blog.  I guess it only makes since that most of the blog these days is about the girls since most of our time and energy is spent on them. The main time I get to do farm stuff is on the weekend when Esther is taking a nap or lately since the time change after Esther goes to bed at 7:30, I have about 20 minutes of daylight. So here is a quick recap of the high points of farm related stuff that has happened the past several months. I have had lots of little projects also but these are the bigger, more exciting ones.

I built our shelter/barn for the animals which is attached to the chicken coop.  I planned it to be all one building and it came out pretty good.  The barn part is 12x16.  I also built a new cross fence that comes across and attaches to the barn.
Something I did last year also that I never blogged about was I built a new deck.  The old deck was in bad shape and not very useful.  I wanted a big deck to be able to host people and have parties since we don't have a good inside space to host groups of people.  Recently I finally put the finishing touches on the deck. Here are some pics.




Also the past 1-2 months our new crop of baby goats were born.  We have 8 babies so far at our house and we have 6 babies at a friends house where some of our goats are.  The crazy thing is that all the goats born at our house were boys.  I have never had that happen before.  It kind of sucks because girls are worth more and are of greater benefit if you are wanting to grow your herd.


We also got a new donkey.  We sold our donkey from last year because of the big drought we had and not wanting to buy overpriced hay for her and she wasn't broke as well as we would have liked.  Our new donkey is the daughter of my dad's donkey.  She is like 5-6 months old and her name is Sweet Pea.  She is really nice and likes to be petted.


No comments: