Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Redneck Playhouse

So, when we bought our house this summer, I never really walked around the whole property prior to buying it.  Probably not the best idea to not walk around it all but I was not worried about it.  You could see most of it from the house and I did not see it as a big deal.  After all, what are you really going to find that is going to be shocking on farm land.  I will tell you what I found....a party barge boat. And not a small one.  Twenty four feet long and baby blue just sitting on the ground between some trees. The metal is all in pretty good shape but the decking is all rotted. I had no idea what to do with it besides sell to someone as scrap metal. But one day when telling a friend at work about it, she suggested I make a playhouse out of it for the kids. I am not sure how serious she was but I thought it was a grand idea. So, a new scheme was hatched.
This past weekend while my family was in town I decided it would be a good time to try and move it.  This thing is not light aluminum, it is heavy gauge sheet metal so it was going to be a tough move.  My dad brought his tractor out for the job.  We hooked it up with a big chain and lifted it a little with the front end loader and tried to start dragging it but the tractor would not budge it.  But we weren't giving up so we hooked up my truck to the tractor which was hooked to the boat and used both to pull it.  Even then, my truck tires were just spinning until I put it in 4 wheel drive and it finally started to budge.  It was slow going and we almost flipped the tractor a couple times but we finally got it to it's new location....at the end of the orchard inside the yard fence. It will still be a while before I have a chance to alter it and make it into a playhouse but at least it is moved.  I have lots of crazy ideas for turning it into a playhouse.  It is either going to turn out awesome or terrible.  But I have a feeling we will have the only party barge playhouse maybe in the whole world. 

Here it is in it's natural habitat.  It may have been here since this area was covered by ocean.

Here it is in it's new home

Here is a video of the truck pulling the tractor pulling the boat.

No comments: