Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Neverending project and my first kill

Well, I thought I might catch everyone up on what's been going on the farm since I have not posted in a while. I AM STILL BUILDING FENCE. It is the never ending job. There is light at the end of the tunnel though. I have all four sides completed and I am working on the fence coming up the driveway and around the house. I am very thankful for the cooler weather. I think the high today was 66 which is awesome compared to the 105 it was a few weeks ago. I thought I would estimate (I haven't actually measured or counted) for you how much fence I am putting up. Approximately 3,400 feet of field fence and barbwire, driven in between 320-350 t-posts, dug 40-50 big wooden posts, and soon will hang 4 gates. I will take some pictures when I am finished and put them on the blog. It will probably be another week or two until I am finished, then I can start on other, more fun projects and I will be posting a lot more.

As I was writing the above, my dog started barking outside. If any of you know Macy, you know she is not the greatest watch dog, but I still go out and shine the light (it is 10pm right now) and see if there are any varmits out there. Well surprise, surprise there was a varmit out there, an Armadillo. CAUTION: If you are a PETA person you might want to stop reading here. Let first start by saying I love animals and don't kill animals unless I am going to eat them or they are a threat. I killed the armadillo. Armadillos dig up your land and garden, they also make big holes in the ground for their burrows which can cause a cow or any other animal including a person to break their leg. I have killed lots of armadillos during my life, one of the funnest memories I have from growing up on the farm (I don't have a whole lot of them because I did not like growing up on the farm, it is funny how things change) is going out to work early in the morning in my dad's old green farm truck and seeing an armadillo in the pasture and trying to chase it down in the truck and run over it. It was a lot of fun because we would be sliding all over the place because the grass would still be wet from the dew. I was going to post a picture of the dead armadillo but I decided that might be a little to much.

2 comments:

John Nelson said...

Awesome! I want to come out and shoot things sometime. The only animal I've ever killed was a small bird with a pellet gun. I didn't actually think I'd hit it, and still feel bad for killing it to this day.

Of course...armadillo's are totally different. They'd be fun to kill.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that was only one of the best memories from growing up on a farm? I would think you'd have lots of memories to share? I can sure remember lots I could share with you....christy