Thursday, January 29, 2009

No Words

We are alive. I can think of no word that can express how bad things are here in Northwest Arkansas after the ice storm. This post is just to let all of you who don't live around here know that we are okay and it is really bad here. Hardly anyone has power here, the latest report said an estimated 150,000 don't have power just here in NWA. I am at work right now and we have power today here at the hospital (there wasn't power yesterday) and I have internet here at work which is nice. Our power went out on Tuesday night and by my best estimate it will be weeks before we have power. The people in town were told it would be the weekend before they might have power. This area got between 1.5 and 3 inches of ice. There are no trees left untouched, I would say 60-70% of my trees on the farm are completely destroyed. My fences are destroyed, there are limbs on all our buildings, our house had 3 limbs hit it during the night. It was really scary. Limbs and trees were breaking constantly yesterday. The good news is that so far all of our buildings at the farm are intact, the falling limbs have not caused major damage. We did have one baby goat die. I cleared our mile of county road yesterday morning and it took me around 3 hours to get a car path to the highway, there are two power lines down just on our county road. Last night we fed the animals and then we came into town before it got dark and stayed with some friends who had their power back on. The state highway between our county road and the interstate is one lane only because there are trees covering a lot of the road. I drove over 4 downed power lines on the highway. It basically looks like a tornado came through but instead of just a limited path, it took out all of Northwest Arkansas. Apparently, last night Obama declared Arkansas a Federal Disaster Area so hopefully that will help get some relief here. I will try to post pictures when I can. The Farm of Hale has changed. Please pray for all of us here, it is really bad.

2 comments:

kate said...

Josh and Margo,
I am so sorry! Todd and Tonya have been hit really hard too. Everything (house, tractor, trailer, shop, barn, etc) has 18 in. tree limbs on it. I remember being without power in LR for 5 days in 2000. It was so depressing and we were so cold and miserable. I am so sorry. We will be praying that you can get electricity very soon. I remember my dad having to get those huge things that hold water and fill it up at his house (with no electricity) and then hauling it to the farm to feed their 100+ animals. I know all of that is so hard. I hope you can keep your spirits up- which is so hard when everyone has lost so much. We are thinking about you and wish we lived close enough to help. Take care and post again if you get a chance.

Rebecca said...

Sorry to hear about the baby goat...our road is CRAZY disastrous too - we're low on the list for power restoration too - only 6 houses on the road won't be a priority! Glad you and Margo are ok - I'll try and catch you at work tomorrow.