Thursday, March 12, 2009

Springtime

We are very excited that spring is well on its way. Even though it snowed some today, it has been getting a lot warmer and some of the trees and flowers are starting to bud out and bloom. Another sign of spring that I really enjoy is the frogs are back at the pond calling. One big project we have been working on is planting grass seed the past week or so. I have cleared out some areas this past year in order to get more grass growing for the animals. I have been moving around the hay feeder all winter and throwing out grass seed around it whenever I move it to a new area which has worked well for me establishing grass. Some of the grass from doing that is already starting to come up. This past week or so Margo and I have been going around spreading grass seed on bare areas and then raking it in. Some of it that we raked in a week or so ago is already starting to come up. Hopefully a lot of it will do well so we will have more grass for the animals and maybe even be able to have more animals. Another exciting thing about this time of the year is it is garden time. I have been planning out the garden and deciding what I am going to plant and what is going to go where. I have already planted a few of the cool season veggies. I put in my onions and planted some lettuce seed last week. The lettuce I do is a mesclun mix. Last year I had problems with lots of grass and weeds getting in the bed with the lettuce. I decided to do it in containers this year in hopes of preventing that from happening so I thought I would try making some planters. I cut down a oak tree a while back that was hollow and I did not cut it up in case I wanted to use it for something. I cut a section out of it and split it in half with my froe. Then I cut some thin sections off a solid piece of wood and attached them as ends. It may not be pretty but I hope it works well for my lettuce. Here is a pic.

No comments: