Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Holiday Birds

A son of one of my friends at work showed turkeys in the Washington County Fair this year. After the fair they were looking to get rid of the turkeys so I decided to take them off their hands. I have never raised turkeys before but I figured it can't be that hard. There are two of them and they are pretty big already. I feel kind of bad for them. These turkeys are just used for meat and when they are young they have their talons clipped and their beaks trimmed. Their only purpose is to get big quick by eating a lot of feed and be eaten, which is fine I guess but I still feel bad for them. I wish at the least they didn't have to be messed with. Anyway, I figured I would experiment with finishing raising them and butcher them this fall. I am always up for trying out new things. Here they are...

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You could just keep them as interesting farm pets...and NOT butcher them. Poor old turkeys.

Adriel Ramirez said...

seems like you're going to have a feast this Thanksgiving! You guys get one turkey each! :)