Sunday, December 06, 2009

Lamb Chops

I did my last butchering of the season yesterday. I butchered our ram lamb that was born in the spring. This was my first ever sheep to butcher. Even though it is a hair sheep, it's "hair" was really thick and wool like. I thought it might be nice to make a sweater out of it. But, I didn't. I decided to completely skin and gut it so I could cut it up into all the different cuts of meat. I found a pretty good descriptive slide show online that showed how to cut it up.

Before


After


Since it was around freezing outside over the weekend, I decided to let it hang outside overnight and "age". Then, today I brought it in the house and cut it up on the kitchen island so I could look at the computer and the description of how to cut it up.


Here is some of the meat after being cut up and vacuum sealed

4 comments:

Kritter Krit said...

Wow. There he is all fluffy and smiley, and then BAM...baggies.

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

kate said...

wow.

Anonymous said...

he was quite a biggen. You had any yet. Would be interested on how well the overnight'ageing' went in the cold.

anonymous hee hee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.