Sunday, October 21, 2007

Pan Fried

Tonight we had an amazing meal. I have been wanting to do it for a while and finally got around to it today. First Margo and I took a short walk to our pond and caught some catfish. We used cheese for bait and caught them pretty quickly. The catfish in our pond are pretty good size, one that I had hooked and was reeling in broke my line. Anyway we (I) caught 3 good sized ones. I then filleted them, something I have not done very much, but I got the hang of it after I butchered the first one. They made some really good sized fillets. Then we cooked them, this is why I had been wanting to cook some fresh fish for so long. A doctor I work with had given me a recipe for cooking fish that he uses and it sounded really good so I had really been wanting to try it out. And let me tell you, it was amazing. It was some of the best fish I have ever had. We cooked up some corn and french fries to go with the fish and ate outside around a fire in our fire pit, it was a great evening.

Here is the biggest catfish I caught (almost as big as my huge muscles, do you have your ticket to the gun show)


Here is one of the fillets


Here it is cooking


Here is Margo enjoying


Now that your mouth is watering I guess I will give you the recipe, it is actually pretty easy and we bought all the ingredients at the greatest place on earth: Wal-Mart. We dipped the fish in beer batter and then coated them with blackened seasoning. To cook them we put some olive oil in an iron skillet and put it on the grill, closed the lid, and got it real hot. Then we put the fish in the skillet and cooked it for 3 minutes on each side with the grill lid closed. I highly recommend trying it.

4 comments:

B said...

sounds like fun! I bet Margo loves that picture of her! ;-)

Rebecca said...

Did the catfish make any growling noises - that was always my least favorite part of fishing for catfish. Ugh.

Josh and Margo said...

Yes they did make growling noises as usual. I think since they are "cat"fish we should say they are purring.

Allison Nelson said...

Sounds very yummy!!