Wednesday, July 08, 2009

4th on the Farm

Last Saturday was our second annual 4th on the Farm celebration. We really like the Fourth of July and have decided to have an annual celebration. We invite friends, family, and coworkers to come celebrate with us. This year we had 58 people which is basically double from last year. I decided to try and smoke a whole hog this year. I have never done it before but I thought I would give it a shot. I built an above ground smoker out of concrete blocks and smoked it for about 8 hours. It was a lot of work but it turned out really good. We had potluck side items and homemade ice cream for dessert. We had lawn games, fishing, and let people pet the animals. At the end of the night we had a fireworks show which turned out pretty good as well. It was a really fun event, I think everyone had a good time. I was so busy while it was all going on that I did not take many pictures. But here are a few.

This is the pig while it is smoking. I had it butterflied so it would lay flat and cook easier.


Here it is after it is done smoking


This is us getting all the meat off the pig. Everyone came and watched us cut it up, it was quite a show. It was a 50lb pig which I was worried about being big enough, but it was more than enough to feed everyone.


We had like 15 young kids at the party, this is some of them feeding the goats. I think the kids really enjoyed seeing and petting the animals.


I am hoping to get some pictures of the fireworks from a guy who took some. As soon as I get them I will post them on here.
We are already starting to plan our celebration for next year.

3 comments:

B said...

Wish we could have made it! I think we saw some of your fireworks over the hill from BJ"s parents!!! lol

kathy said...

Ok, we aren't missing this next year. Good looking pig.

Kritter Krit said...

Hey, I recognize those pictures! Sorry I was too busy feeding my face to remember to take anything after, "Time to eat!" And, man 'o mighty, those fireworks...they were incredible! I was shocked how awesome the show was. =)

Despite the very yummy butterflied pig that kind of gave me the heebie jeebies, we had an excellent time. Thanks so much for inviting us! Sophs started asking us when we weren't quite out of the driveway yet, "When is the 4th of July coming again to Josh and Margo's?!"