Sunday, July 12, 2009

Garden Update - The Drought

I don't know if we are officially in a drought or not but it feels like it to me. We have had very little rain with high 90 degree temperatures for the past month. Several things in the garden are really struggling. I have even had to start watering the garden which I have never had to do here before. It is even getting to the point that the grass is dieing and I am going to have to start feeding hay this week to the animals. It also seems like the bugs are a lot worse this year than before. I am not sure if that is caused by the dryness or not. I have been overrun with squash bugs and they have killed most of my squash. Even with all these problems the garden is still doing pretty good. We canned approximately 50 jars of green beans and 15 jars of pickles. We canned our first batch of spaghetti sauce yesterday and it made 7 jars. We hope to can some salsa tomorrow. We also ate our first corn today which was really good. We will have a lot more in the next couple weeks so we will be freezing it. We have been getting a few blackberries as well, not enough to really do much with, but enough for Margo to eat a handful of them every couple of days. We have small watermelons getting bigger by the day. Another week or two and we will have lots of them. I also planted some fall crops last week, hopefully it will rain soon and get those going good. I planted some winter squash (butternut and spaghetti) and some indian corn. I am hoping to plant some fall tomatoes, sugar snap peas, and potatoes as well. Sorry, but I don't have a lot of pictures of everything. But here is one that I thought was cool. This is our picking bucket (aka old 5 gallon paint bucket) after we went out and picked the garden yesterday. I thought it was cool because of all the different things in there. Maybe we could have a competition on here to see who can name all the things you can see in the bucket.


3 comments:

B said...

i see eggs, veggies and fruits. what do I win?

Josh and Margo said...

You have to be specific as to what each veggie and/or fruit is.

B said...

yah yah I know, I was being sarcastic. geez! ;-)