Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Halloween

For this post, I will step away from my usual talking about the farm to talk on other issues. Halloween is fast approaching. I have always had issues with this holiday. No I am not the person that says it is the devil's holiday and denounce it. My issues are that so many "Christians" don't know what to do with this holiday. Some of our friends refuse to even acknowledge this day and won't even hand out candy to the little kids and then some of our friends go all out in celebrating it and decorate and take their kids trick or treating. Growing up I don't remember ever being allowed to go trick or treating but we always went to those church "Harvest Festivals". These days I do celebrate Halloween because I see it as just an American Holiday and I am not a fan of so called Harvest Festivals because I think they are just the churches excuse to celebrate Halloween while trying to look Holy. If my church ever celebrates with a Harvest Festival where you can come dressed as a Bible character, rest assured my kid will come dressed as Satan. Anyway, I know everyone will not agree with my ideas on Halloween: that we as Christians should not sit idly by but be a part of it and change what bad parts there are for the good. Anyway, my main point of writing this is that it seems like this holiday divides Christians more than any other. I stumbled across a blog entry by a pastor at Mars Hill Church in Seattle (which seems like a really awesome church) about his views on Halloween and this is the single best thing I have read to date about Halloween, its history, and how it pertains to us as Christians, so please take a few minutes to read it. click here for the blog entry

No comments: