Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ice Ice Baby

Have I mentioned that I am getting tired of winter. It has been very cold the past couple weeks and we had a little ice storm earlier in the week. It was 10 times worse out here that it was in Fayetteville. We could not even make it down our dirt road hill on Tuesday evening and had to walk home (about a mile). I felt a little like the old people who walked uphill both ways in 7 feet of snow to school. That is the first time we have not been able to make it down our road. We still have ice in some places on the farm. Because of the constant cold weather, our ponds have been frozen over for a while. This means that every day I have to go and chop through the ice with the sledge hammer so the cow, goats, and chickens can have water to drink. That gets old real fast. I want to come up with some kind of solar powered heating thing that I can keep in the edge of the pond to keep it melted a little when it is frozen. It is starting to get pretty thick, I am not sure what thickness it needs for ice skating but if anyone wants to try it, come on over. It is supposed to warm up this weekend so hopefully it will melt some. Here is a pic of me (in my stylish winter farm work clothes) with a chunk of ice I chopped out to show all of you how thick it is. I strategically placed my hand next to the ice as a comparison.

No comments: