Monday, January 28, 2008

Almost Time

It is getting to be the time of year for baby goats to be born. I think it will still be a month or so before most of our goats have babies but we have one that must have got bred a lot sooner because she is about to burst like a blood engorged tick. She is our smallest goat. We call her Crazy Goat because she is kind of wild and we can not catch her very easily. She has really cool coloring as well. Another funny thing about her is she climbs to the very top of the brush piles to eat instead of eating from the ground level like the rest of the goats.

Here is a pic of her last summer on top of a brush pile that was probably 6-7 feet tall.


Anyway, the main reason I am putting up this post about our probable first babies is for my work. Last year when I had a goat about to have babies I thought it would be fun to have a pool at work and let everyone put a dollar in and guess a date that they think she would have the babies and whoever guessed right won the money. It was a lot of fun. So, I thought I would do it again this year and start an annual tradition. Tomorrow is the official start of the pool so I thought I would post a pic so everyone at work could get a good look at her and make their best guess as to what day they think she will have babies. Here is the best pic we could get of her (she doesn't let us get very close to her) that shows how pregnant she is. Just to give you an idea of how big she is now, look at her legs and how far apart they are and that is about how wide she is normally. She looks like a big goat balloon.



For all of you who I don't work with, feel free to start your own pool at your work to try and guess the date of birth.

2 comments:

B said...

do they only have one baby? she's huge!!

Josh and Margo said...

Goats can actually have up to 6 babies at a time. The most common number for them to have is 2. The most I have ever seen one have is 4. I am guessing she is going to have 2.