Monday, June 23, 2008

Garlic

I planted a lot of garlic this year, something around 50-70 plants I think , and 4 different varieties. My plan is to have enough for us to use when we can our salsa and spaghetti sauce this year and some for in the kitchen and then have enough left to plant for next year so I don't have to buy some every year to plant. One of the varieties I planted got ready earlier than the others so I have been harvesting it. I would tell you what variety it is but the writing washed off the little row markers that I wrote the names of the garlic on. The rest of my ingredients (mainly tomatoes) for my salsa and spaghetti sauce are not quite ready for canning, and I let this garlic go a little to long before harvesting in order to dry it so I decided to try freezing it. I read some articles online that said you can peel the individual little cloves and mince them up and freeze them it and it is supposed to turn out pretty good. I figure it will at least work for my canning. I guess we'll see. The other garlic I will try to dry and braid so it will keep longer. It would also be nice if I knew someone who made garlic pots (hint, hint).

This is from 8 garlic plants, I counted 90 cloves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving all that garlic. Mom has GOT to send you a garlic pot. It would be a shame not to have anything to hold all of that pretty garlic! =)

The berry bed looks fantastic! I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

Nice hint Josh. It looks like I need to make a really big one for you!