Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Deer Camp

Margo and I went hunting this past weekend. Margo's family (on her mom's side) owns a lot of timberland (some of which we hope to inherit one day) down is south Arkansas near Fordyce in a little community called Jacinto. They have a deer camp down there that everyone uses as the home base. There is a central building with a kitchen and bathroom and everyone brings their RVs to stay in and parks them around the building. There are a bunch of people at this deer camp, maybe around 20-30 people but not everyone hunts. This is like our fourth time to go down there and it is a lot of fun. Most of the people there are older and have good stories. The stands we hunt out of are permanent stands and are semi enclosed and have roofs which is nice. There is at least one stand that I saw that even has a recliner in it. Unfortunately though I did not bring home a deer. I did shoot one and I am 99% sure I hit it but I could not find a blood trail nor could I find the dead deer. When I shot it, it jumped strait up and was flailing around it's right front leg like I had shot it in the shoulder, and then it ran off. I am guessing the bullet did not go all the way through and that is the reason there was no blood trail. It was very disappointing. Several other people got deer, I think there had been 11 killed so far when we left. The biggest one killed was an 8 point and there were a few of those. So I did get my fill of gutting deer, although they have a fancy contraption that makes it really easy to skin them. Overall, it was an enjoyable weekend. Here are some pics from the weekend but I will warn you some are kind of graphic.

Here is the little central building at the camp


Here is people's RVs and the outdoor fire pit


Here is a picture taken from the stand I was in. The picture isn't great quality because I took it with my cell phone


Here is another pic from the stand, you can see a food plot in the distance in the trees


Here is Margo's Uncle Ed with a deer he killed. He is one of my favorite people to be around because he is really nice and always has good stories and funny things to say.


Here is Margo's dad and one of the deer he killed


Here is the fancy skinning contraption. Basically all you have to do is cut around the deer's neck and hook it up to this machine and crank it and it pulls the hide completely off with very little work or cutting. It is really pretty cool, if any of you hunters would like to know more about it just let me know, I have more pictures of it.


Here is me cutting around one of the deer's necks to get it ready to be skinned


Here is the walk in cooler they have to hang up the carcases

5 comments:

Kritter Krit said...

NAST-O-RAMA.

Perhaps it's just my current "fragile" state, but I'm gonna go yack up my lunch now.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Kristy - I was thinking "wow, cool!" and I'm not even a hunter!

Kritter Krit said...

Oh, Kathy, there you go having to be the cool one again. ;)

House of Daniel said...

Josh,
These are great pictures of life at the camp. No inside pictures of gourmet kitchen & dining facilities?? Thanks Margo for fixing brkst at 5:00 a.m. They loved your biscuits!!

Anonymous said...

I'm very interested in that skinning contraption. Can you draw me out a simple plan so I can build one?
Looks like fun down there.
Debbie D