Monday, November 24, 2008

Feed My Sheep

We have been keeping the sheep separate from the goats on the farm lately, just like in the Bible. We had to start feeding hay since the grass has died for the winter. The goats aren't very good at sharing with the sheep and tend to pick on them. It is not a fair fight because the goats have weapons (horns) and the sheep don't. So, I decided to keep them separate for a while. This will also allow me to try to tame the sheep down a little more while they are separated from the goats. Anyway, since I am feeding the sheep separate, I decided I needed to build them a hay feeder. I built a nice one last year for the goats and cow that I am still using. Goats and sheep tend to waste hay because they will lay in it and use the bathroom in it and then not eat it. The hay feeder helps keep them from doing that. I just needed something small for the sheep because there are only 3 of them, so I just put something together real quick, nothing fancy. I ended up using one of my tomato cages to hold the hay and it sits in a box I built. This helps conserve hay by having a place to hold it instead of putting it on the ground and as they are eating it the loose stuff falls into the box and they can eat out of there as well. I can also move it around easily.

Here it is. I told you it is nothing fancy, but the sheep seem to like it just fine.

No comments: