Sunday, February 24, 2008

And the winner is....

We love movies, I really love movies. I am indifferent on most TV watching, we haven't had cable or satellite since we got married but we watch movies very often. Anyway, tonight are the Oscars and many of you may not read this until after they are over, but, yesterday Fiesta Square Theater had a special Oscar Best Picture marathon. They showed all 5 movies nominated for best picture back to back on one screen for one day. It cost $30 for the day (which is a lot cheaper than going to them individually) and you got unlimited popcorn. We don't go to movies in the theater very often but just could not pass this up. The first movie started at 11am and the last one ended at 11pm, for those of you who aren't good at math, that is 12 hours of movie watching in the theater. It was a crazy, awesome day. We talked our friends Adam and Sarah into going with us which made it even more enjoyable. Luckily there are restaurants around there so we could go eat in between movies. We got these special lanyard passes to where around our neck that made me feel very important. They even did trivia in between movies and gave out prizes. It was a lot of fun and a cool thing to say that we did. If you don't already know, the movies nominated are Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood, Atonement, Juno, and No Country for Old Men. I thought I would let you all know which one I think should win Best Picture and see if the Oscar gods agree. First, let me say that I don't think that Michael Clayton or Atonement should have been nominated. They were good but not great and it seems like that same story has been done in other movies just in different ways. I would much rather have seen Sweeney Todd or The Lives of Others nominated. Juno is my favorite of those nominated and the one I would most likely buy and recommend to other people. But the movie I think should win Best Picture however is There Will Be Blood. I really thought it was excellent and was excellently made. I also think that Daniel Day Lewis should win for best actor for his performance in it. So, there you have it, we will see what happens tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That marathon sounds awesome! I once considered doing all three Lord of the Rings movies back-to-back-to-back in the theater, but wussed out. Out of curiosity, which was the last movie? Were you guys pretty worn out by then?

Josh and Margo said...

It was not as tiring as you would think. The order they showed them in was...Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood, Atonement, Juno, No Country for Old Men. It was awesome.