Sunday, September 28, 2008

Hay is for horses, but not on this farm.

Winter is approaching, and I completed one more task in preparation. Yesterday, we hauled the last bit of hay that we need to feed the animals through the winter. Hauling hay is not one of my favorite farm duties, as I have talked about in previous posts, but it is necessary. I actually don't mind it so much if it is not super hot outside and I am not hauling several hundred bales. Yesterday was one of the times it was not so bad. We did it in the morning so the temperature outside was like 60 degrees, we were getting it out of a barn so I didn't have to haul it out of the field, and I only needed around 40 bales to complete what I needed for winter. Altogether this summer we got about 130 square bales for the winter. I will probably get a couple round bales to put out as well when we are going to be gone and can't be here to feed hay everyday. I wish I could do all round bales but I don't have a tractor and I am not quite strong enough to lift a round bale.....yet. If any of you have a tractor sitting around that you are not using, I would gladly take it off your hands. It will still be a while before I have to start feeding hay but I am glad to have what I need for the year. It won't be long though, there are already some leaves starting to change and fall. I love this time of year.

No comments: